Crumbs: Forums » Other TV Shows » Breaking Bad: El Camino Discussion
Critical reviews of U.S. TV shows
and analysis of what makes them
good, bad, irritating and enlightening.

Login | Forgot password | Register

X

What is OpenID?

OpenID is an Internet-wide identity system that allows you to sign in to many websites with a single account.

With OpenID, your ID becomes a URL (e.g. http://username.myopenid.com/). You can get a free OpenID for example from myopenid.com.

For more information visit the official OpenID site.

601 Posts in 270 Topics by 23 members

Jump to:

Other TV Shows

Forums » Other TV Shows » Breaking Bad: El Camino Discussion

Moderators: TheTVCritic

Page: 1 Go to End
Author Topic: Breaking Bad: El Camino Discussion 187 Views
  • Ben
    Community Member
    65 Posts

Breaking Bad: El Camino Discussion Link to this post

Saw El Camino today with my brothers, we were bawling in laughter at everything with Todd. All 3 of us were thoroughly entertained. Kinda like with The Office finale, I sorta expected Walt to appear in some capacity but i still enjoyed his scene.

That being said, I do think "as a movie" El Camino was unsuccessful, it functioned as an epilogue, but it lacked a solid structure/pace. I had no issues with what was on the page, but it struck me as a bit unusual for a Vince Gilligan production.

Also, the cinematography didn't work for me, too many scenes looked like green scenes (Even though i knew they weren't)

Score: 70

• Aaronic
    Community Member
    64 Posts

Re: Breaking Bad: El Camino Discussion Link to this post

I wanted to review this movie but I just haven't had the time to sit down and watch it again in order to get my thoughts in order. I'll post an abbreviated version of my current thoughts here. I enjoyed the movie a lot. It's a gift for all fans of "Breaking Bad", and I think the movie does a great job of celebrating the series. I would go as far as to say that this movie feels like a big farewell to the Breaking Bad universe.

As I expected, I was impressed by the details in this movie. There are tons of callbacks and Easter Eggs which can range from obvious (cameos from Skinny Pete and Badger) to the extremely subtle (having Jesse's gunfight with Casey directly mirror his gunfight with Joaquin in Breaking Bad). Furthermore, I thought that the details in the story of Jesse moving on and starting a new life were all extremely well done. I especially liked that we got flashbacks to moments with Jesse's biggest influences: Walt, Mike and Jane. The movie suggests that Jesse will take the advice that each of them gave him to shape his new life, and I think that adds a lovely amount of depth to Jesse's story.

Ben, I echo your thoughts on Todd's presence in the movie. I have heard some criticism of Todd being in too much of the movie, but I enjoyed his scenes a whole lot. He was thoroughly entertaining and Jesse Plemons is wonderful in the role.

The one thing that really bothers me about this movie is a little odd. This movie did a great job of providing closure, and it feels like it should have been the final two hours that we spent in this universe. But of course Better Call Saul isn't over just yet, so the finality of this movie is diminished. I feel that this could have hit a higher level of emotional impact had this been the final 2 hours that we got to spend in the Breaking Bad universe.

In the end I had fun with this. The movie didn't do anything particularly bold or surprising, but it still managed to be everything it needed to be. I don't like scoring movies because they are completely different from episodes of a TV show. But if I had to, I would probably score this at or around a 68.

Go to Top

Currently Online: There is nobody online.

Welcome to our latest member: