Crumbs: Forums » Other TV Shows » The Walking Dead: Season 8: Episode 3: Monsters
Critical reviews of U.S. TV shows
and analysis of what makes them
good, bad, irritating and enlightening.

Login | Forgot password | Register

X

What is OpenID?

OpenID is an Internet-wide identity system that allows you to sign in to many websites with a single account.

With OpenID, your ID becomes a URL (e.g. http://username.myopenid.com/). You can get a free OpenID for example from myopenid.com.

For more information visit the official OpenID site.

550 Posts in 248 Topics by 24 members

Jump to:

Other TV Shows

Forums » Other TV Shows » The Walking Dead: Season 8: Episode 3: Monsters

Moderators: TheTVCritic

Page: 1 Go to End
Author Topic: The Walking Dead: Season 8: Episode 3: Monsters 83 Views
  • Fluids
    Community Member
    307 Posts

The Walking Dead: Season 8: Episode 3: Monsters Link to this post

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Thoughts with summary mixed together.

I give this a 50 on Robin's scale.

We still do not have any context for the wars due to not hearing Rick's overall speech setting up:
    1. What the overall attack plan was,
    2. How to treat the Saviors (Rules of Engagement: like Fire when fired upon or Fire at Will, etc...)
    3. What are the objectives of each team and the location of their targets and the importance of these targets to the Saviors and what effect taken over these targets will have on the Saviors.
    4. How each character is dealing with their marching orders. Do they object to these marching orders (Jesus?), Are they taking these orders to an extreme (Morgan?), Did these characters lose personal friends or significant others and are using this situation to implement revenge? (Tara?)

We got slivers of Rick's speech flashing back when we were given how Morgan was dealing with what he was doing with reference to Rick's speech.

* Morales has a standoff with Rick which is brought to an end by Daryl.
    * Aaron says goodbye to Eric and when the battle is over at his objective he goes back only to find that a zombified Eric has wandered off to a field nearby. We are left with Aaron in tears.
    * Rick has a standoff with Todd and after establishing a trust this is brought to an end by Daryl.
    * Jesus has a drag out battle with Morgan who definitely has switched back to a clear type of mode in his thinking that all the Saviors need to be cleared (killed).
    * Tara agrees with him and Jesus wants to spare the folks that have surrendered. Morgan takes off on his own after his spar with Jesus.
    * Aaron agrees to take Gracie (the baby) to the Hilltop.
    * After several strategic take downs; where the Kingdom loses not a single man; Ezekiel suffers the hubris of loss due 50 caliber hidden gun fire when they reach their objective.

I do get that the writers are trying to make the Saviors look like a collective; almost like a virus that is headless ('We are Negan'; referring to Rick as 'Peaches', or 'Officer Friendly'), however to act like Negan I think is a bit on the nose.
    Why is it that Dwight is against Negan and he's a Savior? Why did Saviors allow themselves to be taken prisoner if they all are Negan? Wouldn't Negan fight to the death? It's because they are not. So there's an inconsistency with this idea of a collective behavior by the Saviors.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Good:

* The only thing I liked about this show was there was more dialog. I loved Eric's lines to Aaron.

* The zombies rolling down the hill and biting folks was so bad it was actually hilarious to me.

So you, an Alexandrian/Hilltop person with weapons; guarding a line of prisoners watches zombies roll down a hill and then pop up and bite folks? Really?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Bad:

* We still don't know what the overall strategy or plan was that Rick and company are now implementing.

* Morales story arc was a throw away; lost opportunity. Here is one of the rare times we have a character that spans most of the series (first season until the present) that has managed to survive as long as Rick and has undergone a similar metamorphosis to Rick. He has lost family members; he has mentally become a killer out of necessity and survival. He potentially would make the perfect foil as an arch villain to Rick, instead, he has a super long tropic monologue summing up what he has undergone and then he gets sacrificed to show Daryl is going too far. For me, learning about a character 5 minutes before that character is whacked doesn't hold a lot of impact emotionally. I felt nothing for Morales. He hasn't interacted with any characters I have watched and following for 7 years, so it's no surprise it had no weight to me; neither did Rick saying to Daryl 'Do you know who that was?'. As Daryl said 'It doesn't matter.'.

* The group of Saviors fighting Aaron and Eric's group abandoning their fight front with the Alexandrians (many people) to face off with only Rick and Daryl? Does that make sense?

* We don't really know if Morgan or Daryl as characters are going too far because we don't really specifically know what Rick's marching orders were. We believe it is 'Take No Prisoners' based on Morgan's recollection or flashback to a sliver of Rick's speech to the entire group regarding the War.

* We don't really know if Jesus is rebelling against Rick's orders out of intention or due to the circumstances of the Savior's surrendering because we really don't know what the communicated position Rick has on dealing with the Saviors because we never heard his speech.

* We don't know if Tara is vengeful while following Rick's orders or is taking Rick's orders too far because she is Vengeful.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Unknowns:

* Why was Morales so angry at Rick? He talks about how screwed Rick is going to be since the Saviors have come back. (Is that the same way a child acts when their friend who is a bully is going to wail on someone they don't like?) In the same breath he tells Rick that his orders are not to harm him, Maggie or Ezekiel. So if his point is to make Rick feel threatened his dialog defeats that purpose before anything even happens. He also hasn't seen Rick since the outbreak. He left Rick's group on his own accord and went through his own personal journey losing his family. That has nothing to do with Rick.

* Why did Maggie let Gregory back into the Hilltop? What is his purpose or use to the community at this point? He certainly can't be trusted or used for direction. I can see him being used in the future by the writers to pose an internal small faction opposition to Maggie inside the Hilltop community. Sorry writers your seams are showing with directing the story-line. They could have found a more natural believable reason to allow him back into the Hilltop like he gives them a piece of information they can use to bring down the Saviors; like information on an outpost that's critical to the Saviors that Rick never knew about. That to me was sloppy, lazy writing.

* Where is Negan in all of this?

* What is the impact these victories have over the Saviors? What is it in their network that has been compromised? As an example, do they no longer have access to food, weapons?, etc...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    http://www.thetvcritic.org/forums/other-tv-shows/show/173
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Aaronic
    Community Member
    44 Posts

Re: The Walking Dead: Season 8: Episode 3: Monsters Link to this post

Hey Fluids, good points, I agree with most of them. I give this episode a 48.

The Good:

-Jesus and Morgan fighting was cool I guess.

-Gregory trying to re-enter the Hilltop is easily the best scene this season. That was actually hilarious. Gregory is the MVP so far this season. Hopefully he lasts longer than I think he will. Sure it was dumb of Maggie to let him back in, but at least I got some enjoyment out of that scene.

-I felt something with Eric's death. Not much really, but something small. It was pretty much just me feeling bad for Aaron.

-Thank you to Daryl for doing what everybody else should be doing: killing mercilessly. This is all out war right?

-I forgot about that awful walker assault on Morgan's group. I was laughing the entire time out of the sheer ridiculousness of it all.

The Bad:

-I agree that the lack of context is ruining everything. I don't understand the plan, motives or organization of anything. Why should I care about the war if I know no details whatsoever. This season would have benefitted if it started with a Game of Thrones-esque premier that just set the stage instead of providing action.

-This show is obsessed with cliff-hangers. It's like they have learned nothing. This week's cliff-hanger is a lose-lose situation. If the Kingdom people survive with just a few casualties it will feel like a cop out. But if everyone gets wiped out it will lose the shock value and emotion it could have had. Just like with Negan killing Abraham and Glenn, the entire scene lost meat because it was spliced halfway through and stuck into 2 different episodes. The Walking Dead needs to stop interrupting powerful scenes for the sake of cliff-hangers.

-Speaking of cop-outs, that Morales twist was pointless. Why bother bringing him back if he is just going to die without accomplishing anything?

-The whole morality thing is just pissing me off now. Characters are just flip-flopping from bloodthirsty to peaceful whenever the plot demands it. This is a trend that needs to be bucked. We need proper character transformations not whatever the hell this is.

Go to Top

Currently Online: There is nobody online.

Welcome to our latest member: