Crumbs: Forums » Other TV Shows » Game of Thrones: Season 7: The Spoils of War
Critical reviews of U.S. TV shows
and analysis of what makes them
good, bad, irritating and enlightening.

Login | Forgot password | Register

X

What is OpenID?

OpenID is an Internet-wide identity system that allows you to sign in to many websites with a single account.

With OpenID, your ID becomes a URL (e.g. http://username.myopenid.com/). You can get a free OpenID for example from myopenid.com.

For more information visit the official OpenID site.

550 Posts in 248 Topics by 24 members

Jump to:

Other TV Shows

Forums » Other TV Shows » Game of Thrones: Season 7: The Spoils of War

Moderators: TheTVCritic

Page: 1 Go to End
Author Topic: Game of Thrones: Season 7: The Spoils of War 206 Views
  • Fluids
    Community Member
    307 Posts

Game of Thrones: Season 7: The Spoils of War Link to this post

I thought overall they did a great job of editing this episode. It was shorter than normal, however I didn't care about the length. The dialog was concise, acting was great and there's a lot packed in here. I really liked the Dothraki/Lannister (Loot Train) battle scene. I give this a 85 out of 100. I have seen it 5 times already. I can watch this one over an over. Fantastic!

If I rate the battles that I like in GOT.

1. Loot Train Battle
    2. Hardhomme
    3. Battle of the Bastards
    4. Attack on the Children of the Forest
    5. Mance's attack on Castle Black

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Summary:

* Bronn needles Jaime as to why he is so pissed off and guesses Lady Olenna said something to Jaime to put him in that state.

* Jaime and Bronn put the Tyrell gold into a carriage set to go from High garden to King's landing. This is put at the beginning of logistics line loot train heading towards King's landing.

* Bronn wants more spoils then he was provided and Jaime promises more once the war is over.
    Bronn doubts Cersei's reign will be peaceful enough to benefit more after she's in power.

* Jaime wants the grain from the Reach collected and put into the logistic loot train line asap and asks the Tarly's and Bronn to supervise taking care of that.

* The Ironbank is impressed with the by the speed of the payback of the loan by Cersei and they promise to bank roll the crown for further progress in the war once the gold gets to King's Landing.

* Littlefinger gives the dagger to Bran (that was used to almost kill him in Season one) and Bran reveals that he knows some things Little Finger has said. (See: The Unknown.)

* Meera Reed says she is leaving for her home and is saddened when she realizes she is not saying goodbye to Bran but to the three eyed raven (See: The good).

* Arya makes her way to Winterfell. The guards don't believe she is Arya Stark (a callback to her being stopped by the guards of the Red keep in the first season.

* There is a huge difference in how she handles herself since then showing me how much Arya has changed.) She gets past the guards and Sansa finds her in the crypts by their father's crypt.

* Sansa learns of (and they laugh over) Arya's kill list. They muse about how Jon will be ecstatic when he finally sees Arya when he comes back.

* Arya asks Sansa if she killed Joffrey and she says she wishes she did.

* Then there is reunion between Sansa, Arya and Bran under the family weirwood tree. Bran tells them both about Arya's list and how Cersei is on it and of her decision to either go to Winterfell or King's Landing. Bran gives Arya the dagger Little Finger gave him. Arya and Sansa exchange a glance acknowledging that Bran isn't crazy and there's something to his visions.

* Brienne and Pod watch the Stark children reunited; fulfilling Caitlyn's wishes and Pod tells her she should be proud as Little Finger looks on.

* Dany and Missandei share a short girl talk about her time with Greyworm and Jon shows Dany the Dragonglass. He also shows her the many writings of the Children of the Forest; documenting their time with the First Men and the white walkers. He tells her they need to fight together and she says she will if bends the knee. He says if he does his men will not accept a Southern ruler and then they are doomed. She asks him if their survival is more important then his pride.

* Tyrion tells Dany Cersei took Casterly Rock and also that Lady Olenna is dead and Cersei has taken the food from the Reach. She lays into him that his plans have cost them the Iron Islands, Dorne and the Reach (and even infers that his plans may have favored his family more than Dany) and asks Jon Snow what she should do. He says that the people that follow her know she made impossible things happen and if she attacks King's Landing with the Dragon that makes her no better than any other ruler.

*Brienne spars with Podrick. Arya shows up and shows off her dagger. Arya asks to train with her and this sets off what I thought was the best sparing of the series. (See: The Good.) Little Finger looks on with Sansa. Brienne is impressed and asks who taught her and she says cleverly 'no one'.
    Little Finger notices Arya has the dagger he gave Bran and he slowly smiles and backs away from his perch.

* Ser Davos knows Jon has a thing for Dany and Jon reminds Ser Davos of the Night King. They meet Missandei and she brings up the thing about Jon's father and his bastard status and she points out in Nath they don't have such things. Missandei reiterates that she serves Dany because chooses to; not because she is forced to.

* They see Yara's ship in the distance and head to the shoreline and see Theon bringing in a rowboat with his men. Theon attempts to approach him with a greeting and Jon runs up and grabs him saying he's lucky he saved Sansa or else he would kill him. Theon points out Euron has Yara and he was there to ask Dany to help get her back. Jon says she was gone.

* Randall Tarly points out the gold has made it through the gates of King's Landing and Jaime points out that the spoils logistic line has to pickup the slack so the grain gets there asap.

* Bron laughs at Dickon's name and also hears the rumble of horses galloping and then there are shouts of spears and shields and forming a line. They are hemmed in on one side by a small body of water.

* The Dothraki attack lead by Drogon tearing a hole in the line. Dany incinerates their supply line while Tyrion looks on. Jaime is saved by Dickon from a superior Dothraki Blood Rider attack. Bronn is taken off his horse by a blood rider and Bronn manages to use the large Ballista called Scorpion to get off a shot at Drogon.

*Drogon incinerates the ballista and Jaime charges Dany and Drogon. She sees him at the last minute and Drogon whips his head around and blasts fire at him. It appears Bronn pulls him off his mount at the last second and they go into the water fully armored and sink; unmoving. Credits.

Good:

*I loved especially in this episode how much it showed me how the Starks have changed. When they were children, Sansa talked about being a lady and now she is one and Arya talked about being a fighter and now she is one.

*The scene with Meera Reed really helped me see Bran's transformation and that Bran did die in the cave (or a least a big part of him.)
    *The scene with Arya and the guards shows how much she has grown (when you go back and compare it to her with the guards at King's Landing in Season One.)

*Arya sparring with Brienne; fantastic! I thought it was well choreographed. The look on Little Finger's face was priceless. Boy does he have to play nice now.

*Sansa's interactions with Arya and Bran really show me how much she has become wise and unphased by life and I loved how she didn't miss a beat after sharing a glance with Arya when Bran said Cersei was on her list and asked who else was on the list?. Their interactions definitely drew them closer together.

*George R.R Martin has hinted that the ending would be bitter sweet to Thrones. The way the Starks have all changed definitely shows this.

*Bronn's struggle to get to the Ballista was a gripping couple of minutes. I don't think I have ever seen this many folks on fire in a scene.

* I loved how they edited out dialog (like the conversation about Lady Olenna being defeated by Jaime.)

The Bad:

*I didn't like Jon's response to Dany about what to do. It really didn't give her much direction and I thought this was a great opportunity to have him give her sound advice that would draw them both closer together and also propel her to action. As if the people of Westeros would stare in wonder at the Dragons (and then hope she makes other impossible things happen) and then agree to allow her to lead them? Really? This I thought could have been better dialog.

He has already stated he thinks the fight for the Iron Throne is pointless and he does need everyone's help fighting the White Walkers, so I think the best thing he could do to persuade her to help him is to help her win the iron throne first (with sound advice, troops or whatever) so he could then use her and her troops up North. The quickest way to do that is to tell her to use her Dragon's against Cersei's troops (in all future battles), which Dany did anyway in this episode. Otherwise Jon has to try and persuade everyone south of the wall that the White Walkers are real and an imminent threat to their existence and how is he going to do that?

* How and when did Bronn learn to shoot the Ballista? Bronn seemed surprised when Jaime asked him to shoot it (since he was one handed) which implied to me he didn't know what he was doing.

The Unknown:

*Does Bran know that Little Finger was the one that set off everything by convincing Lysa to poison Jon Arryn?

* Does Bran truly not know who the dagger belonged to? When Bran quotes Little Finger with 'Chaos is a Ladder', does Little Finger think that Bran is toying with him and that he does know who the dagger really belongs to?

* Are the symbols on the cave walls, spells that give the dragon glass its powers or are they just glyphs that document what it is to be used for and the history of what has happened?

*Is Randyll Tarly dead? I didn't see him get roasted.

*Is (or was) Meera Reed in love Bran? Is that why she is morning his loss? (In his three eyed Raven transformation.)

* Is Jaime alive? Will he be Dany's prisoner?

Game of Thrones Threads at the TV Critic:
    http://www.thetvcritic.org/forums/other-tv-shows/show/180

• Aaronic
    Community Member
    44 Posts

Re: Game of Thrones: Season 7: The Spoils of War Link to this post

Hey Fluids, and I mostly agree with your overall consensus on this one. Excellent episode! I give it a 77 out of 100. The battle scene in this episode was superb.

My rating of the battles would be:
    1. Hardhome
    2. Loot Train battle
    3. Battle of Castle Black
    4. Blackwater
    5. Battle of the Bastards

Good point on Jon's response to Dany. Now that I think about it, it really doesn't make much sense.

I enjoyed a vast majority of this episode. I'll tackle the episode in order. First of all, I was overjoyed to see Bronn return! He is one of my favourite characters and it was a crime that he didn't appear in the first three episodes. He instantly brought back his usual energy when talking to Jaime and Dickon.

Bran's scenes with Littlefinger and Meera were excellent. His cryptic threat to Littlefinger by saying "chaos is a ladder" was really tense and let Littlefinger know that his scheming won't be possible because Bran knows about it. I'm intrigued to see what Littlefinger will do now. Combined with Arya's return, I wouldn't be surprised if Littlefinger has some unfinished business he suddenly has to take care of elsewhere. Bran's conversation with Meera was very strong. It highlighted his transformation over the last few seasons and cleared up why he was so awkward with Sansa in the previous episode. He isn't the same person anymore and it hurt to see him coldly dismiss Meera after all they have been through.

Arya's return was very emotional and delivered on my expectations. I loved the callback to season 1 when she was faced with the guards and it really showed how much she has changed. Her reunion with Sansa also helped show their change as they have both now accomplished what they had wanted in season 1. Arya is a fighter and Sansa is a lady. Their reunion showed some excellent respect between them and sisterly love. I love that Sansa didn't believe the kill list as a serious thing, but boy has that changed now that she has seen what Arya is capable of.

Jon and Dany's scenes were solid and enjoyable. they are developing a relationship and I am enjoying the process. I also enjoyed Dany teasing Missandei about her relationship with Grey Worm.

Brienne sparring with Arya was excellet and brought Brienne's story full circle as she has effectively brought Arya and Sansa together without really doing much. Their sparring match was very well choreographed and I really enjoyed seeing the 2 fight. Littlefinger's face was hilarious.

Now finally onto the battle. It was superb and really fun to watch. One of the best battles in the series for sure. I was pleased to finally see Drogon in action and there was some genuine tension as there were a lot of characters we cared about involved in the action. The sequences with Bronn going for the crossbow and Jaime making the choice to attack Dany were excellently done and had me at the edge of my seat. It was a real spectacle and was extremely enjoyable all the way through.

However, there were some flaws with this battle that took away a little from the episode. I'll list them out since they are mostly just logic gaps; the usual problems I have with battles in this show.

-How did the Dothraki get to the mainland of Westeros without Yara's fleet to transport them? And how did they travel so quickly?

-How did Jaime get no notice of an army heading towards him until they were literally right there?

-How did the Dothraki horses just ride through dragon fire?

-Why did Dany burn the supplies? She needed the supplies too and it would have been more efficient to kill the enemy and take their supplies.

-How did no Dothraki soldiers see Bronn attacking Dany with a giant crossbow and attempt to kill him? He was unarmed too.

I also had a problem with the ending. Unfortunately The Walking Dead has completely killed "is he dead?" cliffhaners for me, so I groaned when the episode ended with Jaime sinking in the water. I'm sure he's not dead but it still annoys me that the show did that.

Other Notes:

-Jon and Theon's reunion was awesome. Short but sweet, and it had all the emotion you would expect it to have.

-Jon, Bran, Sansa and Arya are back home and are completely different from what they were before. Lovely bit of writing.

-Jon apparently has a thing for Dany. This would be sweet, but considering they are aunt and nephew, it just got a whole lot more awkward.

-I was happy to see Dany suitably annoyed at Tyrion after his strategies kept failing. It fit her character to decide to charge into battle with dragons.

Overall, this was one of the show's very best episodes. An excellent battle sequence accompanied with several heartfelt scenes makes this very strong.

Go to Top

Currently Online: There is nobody online.

Welcome to our latest member: