Crumbs: Forums » Other TV Shows » Better Call Saul Season 3: Episode 8: Slip
Critical reviews of U.S. TV shows
and analysis of what makes them
good, bad, irritating and enlightening.

Login | Forgot password | Register

X

What is OpenID?

OpenID is an Internet-wide identity system that allows you to sign in to many websites with a single account.

With OpenID, your ID becomes a URL (e.g. http://username.myopenid.com/). You can get a free OpenID for example from myopenid.com.

For more information visit the official OpenID site.

585 Posts in 262 Topics by 23 members

Jump to:

Other TV Shows

Forums » Other TV Shows » Better Call Saul Season 3: Episode 8: Slip

Moderators: TheTVCritic

Page: 1 Go to End
Author Topic: Better Call Saul Season 3: Episode 8: Slip 503 Views
  • Aaronic
    Community Member
    57 Posts

Better Call Saul Season 3: Episode 8: Slip Link to this post

This will be a shorter review from me this time, due to some unfortunate circumstances which have prevented me from writing much. Hopefully I can come back and update this in a few weeks. I give this episode a 69.

I liked seeing Jimmy "slip" into his Slippin' Jimmy ways which furthered his transformation into Saul Goodman. The final deal with the drug dealer could easily be considered Saul Goodman's first true client.

It was nice to see that Mike wanted to give the good samaritan's family some closure after he was killed. This was obviously how Anita had affected him in the previous episode.

It's surprising to see Chuck move on from Jimmy and try to recover, but it seems like Jimmy's little stunt at the insurance office could have some major repercussions.

Kim and Howard's conflict was well done and it seems like Howard is the real loser from the Jimmy/Chuck trial. I sense a possible separation from him and Chuck coming next season.

Nacho's pill swap was outstanding and the most tense scene in this show so far. Excellently done and Nacho's unclear future made that scene genuinely tense even though it seems likely that he will succeed.

Overall, this episode had a great pace to it, made big steps in every storyline and set up the final 2 episodes very well while still having some memorable moments with the pill swap and Jimmy's transformation. This season has been excellent and I'm looking forward to seeing how it ends.

• Fluids
    Community Member
    328 Posts

Re: Better Call Saul Season 3: Episode 8: Slip Link to this post

Hey Aaronic! Sorry to hear about that.

I had my 50th birthday and a mini vacation that kept me from posting sooner this go round.

~~~~~~~~~~~
    Summary:

* Jimmy and his grifting pal fish out his Indian head penny to run a scam and talks about how his father was an honest sucker.

* Mike reveals the dead body of the drug runner to the authorities (See: the Unknown).

* Chuck checks in with his therapist to get a barometer on his illness.

* The Sklar brothers gain business success due to the free commercial at ABQ Music. They try to cut Saul out of his commercials due to his rate. Saul pulls a scam on them to gain their business and the Ritchie Blackmore signed Stratacaster.

* Kim is asked to take on another case at the same restaurant Howard is entertaining a client. Kim cuts him a check for the expenses he spent bringing her up as a lawyer and refuses to cash the check.

* Nacho substitutes Ibuprofen for Nitro Glycerin and practices switching out the pills.

* Chuck calms himself as he goes shopping.

* Kim checks up on Jimmy and sees him laid out on his injured back with a guitar. He got the Sklar brothers to pay for the ads and give him the guitar and he will make his rent for the next six weeks. Kim sees through this and urges him not to push himself and she will cover for him while he rests his back.

* Kim takes on the case referred to her by her Mesa Verde customer to pick up the slack. (Boy does that woman love him.)

* Howard visits Chuck and tells him about their malpractice insurance.

* Nacho switches out Don Hector's pills. The scene was a lot more tense and dramatic then I am putting it here.

* Jimmy figures out a way to make $700; make his calls; rest his back while he puts his community service liaison in his place and help out a drug dealer who wants to see his injured kid all while being on community service. To me, this is Jimmy becoming Saul Goodman (who is Jimmy on steroids). (See: the Good)

* It appears Mike has made an arrangement to work for Gus to launder $200K for his daughter and grand daughter. (See: the Bad)

~~~~~~~~~~~
    Overall thoughts:

I gave this a 60 on Robin's scale. There wasn't anything that stuck out too much as being good or bad. Things got moved along and you're right Aaronic; Nacho's scene with Don Hector was the standout there; well acted...Another solid episode.

~~~~~~~~~~~
    Good:

* I loved Chuck's therapist. I got the impression she knows he's pretty ill and she's very supportive.

* I loved Nacho breaking the A/C to get Don Hector to take off his jacket. I thought that was great writing as far as blocking affecting plot.

* Jimmy killing four birds with one stone at the community service scene was great for me at showing how practically shrewd Jimmy was becoming. Throughout his life he never wanted to be a sucker like his dad and proves that here. This to me is Saul Goodman in action. This is the Saul who knew someone to hide Walter White, who could easily do *anything* that was required; resourceful; cagey; a force to be reckoned with which is ultimately why he will end up with Gus.

~~~~~~~~~~~
    Bad:

* I know Nacho is in Breaking Bad so I had no fear he would be caught switching out the Nitro pills for Don Hector. It was tense though regardless. That's due to the superb acting though.

* I really would have liked to see if Howard is getting a bad taste in his mouth about his partnership with Chuck and part of that I think is knowing how far the malpractice insurance affects HHM. Did they lose their insurance? Did the premiums go up? Are they uninsurable where Howard has a conniption? There's no emotional barometer to measure the plot suspense here. The waiting suspense to know what happened for me isn't that great either. If I never knew what precisely happened that wouldn't bother me and perhaps I should feel more burning desire?

* Mike attempting to launder $200K through Gus was a bit short sighted for me. Mike is way more intelligent then that. Traceable or not; Technically he could only gift in total $14K a year legally in the US so it would take 15 years to do it without any penalties to him and the receivers. Especially since Mike really doesn't like drug dealers. Don Hector and Gus work for the same man, so that was even more confusing. If anything, I thought he was pulling odd jobs with unconnected folks so he and his family wouldn't get whacked and he could care for them. So Mike is willing to put his daughter and grand daughter in jeopardy just to launder money for their future? Really??. This direction for him didn't work for me, given his past thinking. I suppose if the intent was to set up an inherited trust fund there is some logic to why he wants to do this, however still the danger to his family makes the direction too risky I think. What prevents Gus from whacking Mike and his family at anytime? Nothing...

~~~~~~~~~~~
    UnKnown:

* What is the time period Jimmy gets his Indian head Penny? Is it the present or the past?

* Was Mike letting the police know to satisfy the family of the victim because he has a conscience or was it done to potentially give Don Hector some heat?

* Does Chuck's therapist think he is crazy?

* Is Jimmy really injured? It looks that way.

* What exactly happened with the malpractice insurance? That dragged my score down a little.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Show Threads:
    http://www.thetvcritic.org/forums/other-tv-shows/show/384
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Go to Top

Currently Online: There is nobody online.

Welcome to our latest member: