The Walking Dead Season 7: Episode 9: Rock in the Road
Thoughts with summary mixed together (I downgraded my score):
Happy Valentine's Day and Second half of the season! I gave this episode a 65 on Robin's scale. There is some sameness with my descriptions from my last write up. Chock full of dialog and action and story motion.
* Father Gabriel goes AWOL taking supplies in a car with another person. He has been planning this a while. He has a list of items and has written the word 'Boat' in his bible which leaves for the others to find. (SEE Unknown.)
* Gregory exchanges barbs with Rick and Company. My favorite line was Rosita calling Gregory a 'Walking Ball Sack'. That's something Abraham would say.
* Bertie and some other hilltop members pledge their help to Maggie and Rick's group to fight the Saviors.
* Jesus takes Rick and Company to the Kingdom to meet King Ezekiel.
* Rick's group reunites with Morgan and they tell him about the death's of Glenn, Abraham, Spencer and Olivia. He tells everyone that Carol is off on her own.
* Rick tries to persuade Ezekiel to rise up against the Saviors. Ezekiel's miffed that Jesus told Rick about his deal with the Saviors. Ezekiel wants them to stay overnight and he would let them know in the morning if the Kingdom will assist.
* Benjamin calls on Carol to check up on her for Ezekiel and she orders him away.
* Benjamin returns to the Kingdom and informs Ezekiel about his encounter with Carol.
* Ezekiel rejects Rick's plea to help in the battle against the Saviors because it endangers his people.
* He offers asylum to Daryl since the Saviors have never gone into the Kingdom and he would be safe. Daryl mentions it's just a matter of time before they will come into the Kingdom. Then they would be harboring a fugitive and they will be in trouble too. Essentially Daryl is saying you may not have a problem now, however you will in the future. (SEE the Bad) Richard wants to go with Rick (from the Kingdom.)
* Sasha says to Rosita she knew Ezekiel would say no. Rosita distances herself from Sasha with the comment 'What the hell are you telling me for? We both had sex with the same dead guy. It doesn't make us friends.' (See: The Good)
* Jesus had gotten a hold of Fat Joey's radio when rescuing Daryl and has been keeping tabs on their movements.
* Rick and company take the freeway past the Saviors place back to Alexandria and run into a road block and a booby trap setup for stopping walker herds that uses explosives.
* Jesus overhears a Eulogy on the shortwave radio for Fat Joey and Negan sends out a search party to go after Daryl.
* Rosita, Rick and company disable some of the explosives for their own use and head back to Alexandria racing against a walker herd and the Saviors setting out for Alexandria. In the process Rick and Michonne mow down a number of walkers in a highway walker herd with a cable strung between two cars driven simultaneously and then they quickly park the cars. The herd runs through the cable detonating the explosives that remained on the booby trap. This provides a great cover for any suspicions the Saviors would ever entertain of the Alexandrians having Dynamite.
* Rick and company make it back to Alexandria just before Negan's henchmen get there looking for Daryl (I would imagine the Alexandrians have buried Rick and Carl's guns along with the explosives in a hidden cache somewhere.) After searching the place the Saviors vow to get Daryl in the future and leave.
* Eric mentions to Rick that Father Gabriel had been missing since his watch the night before and the pantry was cleared out.
* Rick believes Gabriel is leaving them a message (see the bad) and focuses on the word 'boat' written inside his Bible left very conspicuously on the floor. He takes Aaron, Rosita and few others to the William Stanton's houseboat land (Eric tries to persuade Aaron not to go before they left.) They spot footprints and that leads them to a junk yard where they are surrounded by a least fifty people. Rick smiles (credits)...
* I liked Rick's story about the Rock in the Road to Ezekiel. Challenges can lead to fortune or good circumstances is what I got from that.
* The walker highway cable slicing scene was cool.
* I like the dialog between Eric and Aaron because it shows some of the Alexandrian's are still against Rick's actions (even inside of relationships.)
* Nice friction between Rosita and Sasha. We are getting some more inner dynamics between characters. The show needs to do more of this with all the characters. Things would be so much better.
* More tiring wasted calls on Carol. Her story line is becoming too repetitious and dull.
* Daryl being planted at the Kingdom is for me the show making their setups very obvious. It's pretty clear two things are probable with the Kingdom: 1. Richard will get in a fight with one of the Saviors. 2. Daryl will be discovered. Either thing puts the Kingdom on Rick's side in the war.
* The whole bible thing with Gabriel I thought was handled poorly. It felt very Scooby Doo (Velma finding a clue). If Gabriel's note about a Boat in his bible is an intentional clue for Rick and Company, why do that? Why wouldn't he just tell Rick about where he is going? If he left the bible there by accident then the note about the Boat was a reminder to himself where to go. That's just lame writing for me. He keeps a detailed list of items to take with him on his AWOL journey in his bible and then leaves his bible there?
* Is Heath still alive? Where is he? He looks like he was abducted.
* What does 'ppp' (or flip it upside 'ddd') mean on the security card? Is this a different group? My hope for years has been for a group of nerds to still be alive that have processor power at their finger tips. Perhaps this is who took Heath? More likely Negan eh??
* What is going to happen when Negan finds out Maggie is still alive?
* Who is this new group of survivors? Is William Stanton amongst this group (this is the guy with the wordy signs that had a lagoon and houseboat full of guns and perhaps the snakeskin boots?
* Who is riding shotgun with Father Gabriel? Is it the guy with the snakeskin boots?
* Why is Rick smiling? Is it because he sees someone he knows; like Father Gabriel? Is it because he may be able to use these people against the Saviors?
*If there was only one cable used for the highway walker stunts, wouldn't the dynamite have detonated as soon as they started cutting walkers in half with it?