Crumbs: Forums » General Discussion » Walking Dead: Descent, review
Critical reviews of U.S. TV shows
and analysis of what makes them
good, bad, irritating and enlightening.

Login | Forgot password | Register

X

What is OpenID?

OpenID is an Internet-wide identity system that allows you to sign in to many websites with a single account.

With OpenID, your ID becomes a URL (e.g. http://username.myopenid.com/). You can get a free OpenID for example from myopenid.com.

For more information visit the official OpenID site.

126 Posts in 24 Topics by 23 members

Jump to:

General Discussion

Forums » General Discussion » Walking Dead: Descent, review

Moderators: TheTVCritic

Page: 1 Go to End
Author Topic: Walking Dead: Descent, review 1894 Views
  • Yogabon
    Community Member
    37 Posts

Walking Dead: Descent, review Link to this post

Just wanted to give a quick review of the Novel; Walking Dead; the Descent, by Robert Kirkman, Jay Bonansinga

This novel is set in Woodbury post the reign of the Governor. Lilly Caul, whom we have followed in earlier novels becomes the natural, if not reluctant leader.

Featured are herds of Walkers and the logical means by which the survivors must deal with not only the threat they pose, but how to protect those in Woodbury and whether they should help other survivors they encounter, by risking their lives.

The main challenge though comes from a charismatic preacher and his flock that join our heroine's rebuilt community.

This was the best of the novels offered so far. It nicely immerses you in the world of the Walking Dead. The inner dialogue of characters really helps round out the experience one might have in this type of environment.

Probably I liked it more because it did not have any of the TV characters this time, who seemed markedly different in their novel versions from those we've come to know as viewers of the show.

I'm not a comic book reader, so I can't speak to how closely it follows those works.

• Fluids
    Community Member
    280 Posts

Re: Walking Dead: Descent, review Link to this post

Thanks Yogabon!

Sounds good. I am going to check it out!

• TheTVCritic
    Forum Moderator
    170 Posts

How did they deal with a herd of Walkers?

• Yogabon
    Community Member
    37 Posts

Lilly's group uses a secret tunnel system to circumvent the walkers. Fire and bombs are also tried to destroy the herd. They also use diversion tactics to draw them away from Woodbury (This works best in the end).

• TheTVCritic
    Forum Moderator
    170 Posts

Interesting

• Fluids
    Community Member
    280 Posts

Excellent! Tunnel systems! I have always thought why hasn't anyone tried using those in the Walking Dead TV Series (especially to evade large hordes of zombies)?

Beside evasion or getting through heavily zombified populaces there is also as means of protection at a safe haven.

Tunnel systems would in general would offer a survival group a safe haven surrounded by a 'zombie moat' against rival human groups. The tunnels being the access to and from the safe haven.

Then as a means of attacking a rival human group (a la the Middle Ages warfare of our own real history.)

If strong fortifications need to be dealt with, what better way then to burrow into a rival groups compound undetected?

• Fluids
    Community Member
    280 Posts

I finished this finally. Good read.

There's more action beats with this one then the others, which tend to have a lot more description and are more sensual, so I feel like I am moving right through this. You do lose some sounds, smells and tastes (or at least I notice those in the descriptions less). There is a drawback though on some characterization. You don't feel as much about the death of some characters that you do in the previous three novels. I thought The Governor's back story for instance was way more in depth then any character presented in this book.

I have to say I like where it goes. It never ceases to amaze me at how inventive Kirkman and Bonansinga are at how walkers pop up in the narrative and sabotage characters and the storyline. I definitely think there is room for a continuing chapter or two with this one...

Go to Top

Currently Online: There is nobody online.

Welcome to our latest member: