Critics' Choice Television Awards
As some of you may know I am a member of the Broadcast Journalist Television Association. Every year I take part in nominating and voting for the Critics Choice Television Awards. The awards ceremony takes place on Monday 10th June at 8pm. You can watch it live on Ustream http://www.ustream.tv/channel/critics-choice-television-awards and award show highlights as well as red carpet coverage will air on ReelzChannel.
There are a number of categories being given awards but below are the ones I felt qualified to vote for with my pick in bold.
BEST COMEDY SERIES
- The Big Bang Theory – CBS
- Louie – FX
- The Middle – ABC
- New Girl – FOX
- Parks and Recreation – NBC
- Veep – HBO
An easy choice for me as Louie makes me laugh and think which the other contenders rarely do.
BEST ACTOR IN A COMEDY SERIES
- Don Cheadle (House of Lies) – Showtime
- Louis C.K. (Louie) – FX
- Jake Johnson (New Girl) – FOX
- Jim Parsons (The Big Bang Theory) – CBS
- Adam Scott (Parks and Recreation) – NBC
- Jeremy Sisto (Suburgatory) – ABC
This was harder because Louie is very good but doesn't always have to stretch himself very far. If given good material Jim Parsons would win this award often. Scott and Sisto aren't being asked to do too much and although Cheadle is very good he is not on a good show.
BEST ACTRESS IN A COMEDY SERIES
- Laura Dern (Enlightened) – HBO
- Zooey Deschanel (New Girl) – FOX
- Lena Dunham (Girls) – HBO
- Sutton Foster (Bunheads) – ABC Family
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus (Veep) – HBO
- Amy Poehler (Parks and Recreation) – NBC
Very hard. I have voted for Poehler several times before but didn't feel it was Parks' best season. Girls is inconsistent but Dunham is pretty fearless in her role so I feel comfortable giving her my vote.
BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR IN A COMEDY SERIES
- Max Greenfield (New Girl) – FOX
- Simon Helberg (The Big Bang Theory) - CBS
- Alex Karpovsky (Girls) – HBO
- Adam Pally (Happy Endings) – ABC
- Chris Pratt (Parks and Recreation) – NBC
- Danny Pudi (Community) – NBC
Very tough and an unopopular choice I'm sure. I think Helberg has been doing consistently good work for years and decided to reward that even though I think Pratt is good and in previous years Pudi would have got the nod. Don't get me started on New Girl again...
BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS IN A COMEDY
- Carly Chaikin (Suburgatory) – ABC
- Kaley Cuoco (The Big Bang Theory) – CBS
- Sarah Hyland (Modern Family) – ABC
- Melissa Rauch (The Big Bang Theory) – CBS
- Eden Sher (The Middle) – ABC
- Casey Wilson (Happy Endings) – ABC
No contest as far as I'm concerned. In part because Sher has far more to do than most of the other actresses. But beyond that I care about Sue Heck which is a rare thing for me with current sit coms.
BEST GUEST PERFORMER IN A COMEDY SERIES
- Melissa Leo (Louie) – FX
- David Lynch (Louie) – FX
- Bob Newhart (The Big Bang Theory) – CBS
- Patton Oswalt (Parks and Recreation) – NBC
- Molly Shannon (Enlightened) – HBO
- Patrick Wilson (Girls) – HBO
Really tricky because I didn't find Lynch's role on Louie that funny but he definitely played an utterly dead pan old school guy convincingly.
BEST DRAMA SERIES
- The Americans – FX
- Breaking Bad – AMC
- Downton Abbey – PBS
- Game of Thrones – HBO
- The Good Wife – CBS
- Homeland – Showtime
I thought the first eight episodes of Breaking Bad showed the writers fingerprints too clearly to be as strong as previous seasons. Game of Thrones has its own litany of problems but made a far greater impact on me in this particular year.
BEST ACTOR IN A DRAMA SERIES
- Bryan Cranston (Breaking Bad) – AMC
- Damian Lewis (Homeland) – Showtime
- Andrew Lincoln (The Walking Dead) - AMC
- Timothy Olyphant (Justified) – FX
- Matthew Rhys (The Americans) – FX
- Kevin Spacey (House of Cards) – Netflix
I've still yet to see House of Cards or The Americans so my vote means less than others. Cranston dominated those eight episodes though and was as good as ever.
BEST ACTRESS IN A DRAMA SERIES
- Claire Danes (Homeland) – Showtime
- Vera Farmiga (Bates Motel) – A&E
- Julianna Margulies (The Good Wife) – CBS
- Tatiana Maslany (Orphan Black) – BBC America
- Elisabeth Moss (Mad Men) – AMC
- Keri Russell (The Americans) – FX
Danes had more to do than Moss.
BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR IN A DRAMA SERIES
- Jonathan Banks (Breaking Bad) – AMC
- Nikolaj Coster-Waldau (Game of Thrones) – HBO
- Michael Cudlitz (Southland) – TNT
- Noah Emmerich (The Americans) – FX
- Walton Goggins (Justified) – FX
- Corey Stoll (House of Cards) – Netflix
A tough call between Banks and Coster-Waldau but again I went for emotional impact.
BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS IN A DRAMA SERIES
- Jennifer Carpenter (Dexter) – Showtime
- Emilia Clarke (Game of Thrones) – HBO
- Anna Gunn (Breaking Bad) – AMC
- Regina King (Southland) – TNT
- Monica Potter (Parenthood) – NBC
- Abigail Spencer (Rectify) – Sundance
I've liked Carpenter's work for years and this season she really had a range of tough emotions to play.